Lock-Down in Panama
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
I’m not God, and I’m very glad to admit it. I want that completely understood. Therefore, I am not in a place to answer the question, “What is God doing with COVID-19?” I don’t know. However, I do believe that God may have 10,000 purposes for doing what He does, and we may be aware of one or two of them. Having said that, lately I have thought often of a very familiar and often quoted verse. Psalm 46:10. God says, “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
In my opinion, and I’m also including myself, we seem to be a people who do not know how, or at least do not like, to be still before the Lord. My guess is, or perhaps better said, my hope and prayer is, that one of God’s purposes for COVID-19 is that we, as God’s people, will learn to be still and truly know that He is God during this time. And, once we are still, and once we know that He is God, that we will exalt Him among the nations. The result of knowing God has to be exalting Him. It has to be that way. It cannot be otherwise. The more we know God, the more we exalt Him. It is also worth noting that our circumstances do not come into play; in the good and in the bad, it is simply in knowing God that we desire to exalt Him.
And then, just for further encouragement, verse 11 says, “The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.”
May we learn to be still and know that He is God. May we then exalt Him throughout the world as He deserves, knowing that He is with us.
- Panamá has been in a complete national quarantine for some time. As of April 1, women are allowed to go to the grocery stores and pharmacies on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and men are allowed to go on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. When one is allowed to leave their home, it is for a two hour period determined by the last number of one’s ID card. (For example, Mary can go from 1:30 – 3:30, and Clip can go from 2:30 – 4:30.) No one is allowed to leave their homes on Sunday.
- Due to the national quarantine, we have not met physically as a church since March 8. Our services are available on YouTube. It is likely that it will be June before we can physically meet together again.
- We have been using Zoom for our Bible studies. On March 30, we finished a study of the book of Habakkuk. Talk about a timely study! On April 6, we will have a prayer meeting using many chapters from the Psalms to guide our prayer and praise to God. On April 13, we will begin a new study through the book of Malachi.
- We continue to communicate with people connected to the church and pastors throughout the country.
- We are making sure that people we know have the necessities that they need during this time.
- We are learning to pray a lot more.
1. For those who had been attending Iglesia Bautista de Costa Verde. Many of them are not saved, and we continue to pray for their salvation and continue to look for ways to show them the love of Christ and share the gospel with them.
2. For a great spiritual revival in the community of Costa Verde. Of course, please pray for the same throughout the world.
3. That each of us would be still and know that the LORD is God, and that He would be exalted among the nations.
These things seem so much less important in light of the current situation in which we find ourselves, but …
4. For someone who can lead the worship music for our church.
5. For a permanent place for our church to meet.